Raptor Closures Lifted in Skunk Canyon, Bear Creek Spire and Der Frieschutz
On May 15, 2018, the City of Boulder’s Open Space and Mountain Parks (OSMP) lifted the following raptor closures:
- Mount Sanitas Summit, south of the Mt. Sanitas East Ridge Trail, east of Mt. Sanitas Trail (both trails remain open)
- Skunk Canyon, including Ridges 2, 3 and 4, the Aechean Pronouncement, the Dreadnaught, the North Ridge and the entirety of Sacred Cliffs.
- Der Freischutz, Frankenstein’s Castle, The Bubble, Der Freischutz, Southern Dinosaur Egg, Northern Dinosaur Egg and Dinosaur Rock.
- Bear Creek Spire: north of Bear Canyon Trail (the designated Bear Canyon hiking trail remains open).
- The Kolb, Weiser and ERTL Properties east of 75th Street and north of Valmont Road.
These areas are now open for climbing. For more information, please check OSMP’s web site.
Thank you for respecting the closures. These closures help falcons, eagles, bats and other bird species reproduce and raise young without disruption and restore populations. Respecting closures also helps ensure continued climbing access in the Flatirons.