Extension of the Third Flatiron Closure and Other Updates
The closure of the Third Flatiron will be extended beyond July 31 due to late nesting of peregrine falcons. Other closures will be lifted by the seasonal deadline.
OSMP anticipates lifting the following cliff-nesting raptor closures on or before August 1:
- Flagstaff Mountain, the north side of Flagstaff Mountain.
- The Back Porch and The Box.
- Fern Canyon, north of the Fern Canyon Trail, including the Nebel Horn Ridge, East Ridge, the Goose and the Goose Eggs.
- Shadow Canyon, the Matron and The Wings. The Maiden remains open and accessible from the east.
- The entire Mickey Mouse wall, including South Tower, North Tower, Central Tower, Ship’s Prow, Wall of Shiva’s Dance, The Gargoyle, the East Face and Cryptic Crags.
Regarding the Third Flatiron closure, Open Space and Mountain Parks (OSMP) recently discovered that an injured female peregrine falcon on the Third Flatiron was displaced by another female – which led to a delayed but successful courtship cycle between the resident male peregrine falcon and the new female. While peregrine fledglings normally leave their nests in late July, OSMP anticipates that two peregrine falcon nestlings will need additional time to mature and is extending an existing wildlife closure to protect them from disturbance.
OSMP staff and volunteers will continue to monitor this nest and will lift the closure when the fledglings are able to leave the nest area. OSMP anticipates the Third Flatiron raptor closure could remain in place until Aug. 15.
OSMP recognizes this closure extension will impact climbers’ access to the Third Flatiron and encourages them to visitbit.ly/osmpclimbing for updates on when the closure will be lifted. Information on OSMP wildlife closures, which help to protect sensitive habitats, can be viewed at www.osmpwildlifeclosures.org, or call the department at (303) 441-3440.